Sunday, March 18, 2007

One Down, Two To Go?

Well, the challenge is over. According to the official report, twenty-two developers accepted the challenge, and eight of us succeeded.

Looking at other 7DRLs in general, it appears that minor bug fixes after the deadline are considered okay, so that's good.

And I was pleased to see an overall-positive review of my game in Roguelike. The Magazine. So I feel good about the seven day quest and The Seven Day Quest. I hope to hear feedback from my friends about it at some point.

But the experience was also sobering as I look forward to the rest of the grand plan, i.e. the 24hour comic and NaNoWriMo.

Actually, the 24 hour comic doesn't have me too worried, except I don't know if I can really stay awake for 24 hours anymore. I have plenty of time to polish up my drawing skills, etc. and I don't expect to have trouble coming up with enough material for 24 pages.

But NaNoWriMo may be biting off more than I can chew. A 175 page novel in 30 days. I found the 7DRL experience exhausting -- working 5 hours on the Roguelike after 8 hours of my regular job left me completely wasted after just a few days.
And writing code is a heck of a lot easier than writing fiction (at least for me). The longest piece I've written to date is 30 page short story. Unless I take at least most of November off, it's hard to imagine even coming close to success.

3 comments:

Slashie said...

Congratulations on finishing the 7DRL Challenge!

I know the experience, it was a very tight week for me as well, and coding past midnight to go work next day is always tiring... (fortunately I was rewarded with a relaxing trip that weekend :P)

Blogging your journey was cool, perhaps I must do that next year :)

Good luck for your rest of challenges!

capmango said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Slash! I'd love to see everyone blog next year, I would read all of them.

It used to be a lot easier to stay up late and still work the next day. I suspect I'm the oldest 7DRL challenger, and at this age I need my sleep :)

Unknown said...

I just stumbled onto your blog; Good work on your RL, I'm looking forward to playing it more.
Excuse the off-topic: I found your blog while searching for the author of my favorite 68k Mac game, and having no luck contacting you at your main site (request@...). I'm trying to get a copy of said game so I don't have to face resurrecting my ol' mac's drive, assuming it still works.
Of course I'm willing to abide by the shareware costs or any restrictions you care to impose...

I can be reached with my username 'jford03' within the COMmercial domain yahoo.