Friday, March 16, 2007

Breaking The Tape

It is done!

Here is a link to the new intro page: http://www.babelsphere.com/7dayquest/game/

The game is uploaded. It's playable. It meets the criteria. My next step is to post to rec.games.roguelike.announce and declare victory! With seven hours to spare.

And I'm happy with the outcome. The game is fun to play. I like the graphics. There's enough there for sure.

I'm happy with the code overall, considering how quickly it was written. The javascript is pretty clean, and there are no funky things like code branching based on what browser you are using. The game works in IE on windows and Firefox on windows and Mac. I know why it doesn't work on Safari (Safari just doesn't like using a div for input, it's an HTML problem, not a js one). I could work on fixing that, but it's not necessary for declaring victory.

Of course, there are a few shortcomings. The chase algorithm has a weird anomaly -- I know what it is and how to fix it, but it's actually kind of fun the way monsters behave unpredictably, and it keeps the hero on his toes, so I'm leaving that as is.

The balance interface is kind of klunky, and you have to rebalance each time you start a new game.

The winning and losing screens have been improved, but not much.

Never implemented traps, or blessed weapons.

I could spend the next seven hours trying to accomplish that, but it would be really irresponsible. I have to get back to my regular life now.

Of course, I do want to put those things in at some point.

Oh, and I didn't do a thing to support small screens. If you don't have at least 1150x800 resolution, it will be a real drag to play the game.

And, I'm already thinking about next years 7DRL: take the Seven Day Quest, use Ajax to hook it up to a j2ee servlet, and create a multiplayer online rogue... It's defnitely doable in a week's time...

1 comment:

Scott said...

Congratulations, Glenn! I look forward to playing it :-)