Saturday, February 24, 2007

Preparing for whatever this is

I'm at a low point in my life.
Struggling at work to even do a mediocre job.
Realizing that I'm just not really nearly as good a person as I always thought of myself.

But I got this idea in my brain a couple months back, and I've decided to pursue it. I don't know what to call it, maybe the Creative Endurance Triathalon or something. Suggestions welcome.

I don't think anyone has done this before: Completed a Seven-Day Roguelike, a 24-hour comic, and a NaNoWriMo (one month novel). I'm going to try to do all 3 this year.

I plan to tie all of them together thematically. In fact, I'm considering this blog plus the game, comic and novel (assuming I succeed at all three) to constitute a single, multimedia work of art.

First up is the seven-day roguelike. This year's contest begins March 10th. I will be at somewhat of a disadvantage because I work full time and most of the rest of my time is owed to family, church and sleep.

I can't start writing code until March 10th, but I think I'm allowed to start thinking at any time.

The theme (and name) of my adventure game is The Seven Day Quest, a parallel of course to my own seven day quest.

Classic Rogue consisted of a single dungeon of 26 levels, a single quest to find a single magic item, the Amulet of Yendor. 7DayQuest will consist of seven, sevel-level quests. Each successful quest will result in finding a magic item, and that item will be necessary to succeed in the next day's quest.
I'm working on the backstory of the game.
I'm figuring that that will be the novel.

I need to make sure I don't get overambitious with the thoughts of the game, because I have to have it completely finished in one week of spare time, and I am starting from zero.

7DayQuest will be written completely in Javascript (and DHTML). To my knowledge, it will be the first Roguelike to be written that way.

Next step: Overall design, and an implementation plan with daily milestones.

No comments: